How to make a car move off properly.
November 9th, 2014
A lot of people struggle moving off, let alone moving off properly. So we have posted this little article to help you learn how to make a car move off properly.
Moving Off: Using the GOSH sequence for preparation.
- Gears: Engage 1st gear.
- Observation: Check your mirrors and blind spots to see if you will be able to move off without causing other road users to change their speed or direction.
- Signal: Indicate that you intend to move off.
- Set the pedals: Press on the accelerator to give the vehicle enough power to move off. More power may be needed for hills, busy roads, etc. Also the clutch at the biting point so the vehicle is trying to drive.
- Handbrake: With a final check of the road, release the handbrake. Then press down further on the accelerator and come smoothly up on the clutch.
- Get into the appropriate road position. Typical road position is slightly to the left of the centre of the lane. Road position can vary for different obstacles and road types.
- Change up through the gears to the appropriate speed.
- Check your mirrors as you go.
We’ve also made this video to help you learn how to make a car move off properly.
Share our media with a link.
Now you know how to make a car move off properly. Feel free to share our video on moving off. Although we would ask that you please credit adidriving.ie with a link. Also take a look through the rest of our site, especially our Lessons page for more videos, tips and infographics. Additionally we also have the basic infographic below, which you are also welcome to share. Again, would we ask that you please credit us with a link. Contact us if you have any questions that you would like answered in a blog post, video or infographic.
By Darragh Dunne ADI
Category: by Darragh Dunne